Monday, September 5, 2011

Reality Check

I'm trying to resume my normal schedule.  Within twelve hours of getting off the plane from Dublin, I was in front of 26 new students.  Tomorrow night I begin my adjunct instruction at SNHU.  I am fortunate that I love my work.  The word vocation comes from the Latin voco- meaning a calling.  I think that I have been called to teach and to teach teachers.  But I have been spoiled. 

There is an expression, "The glory of God is man fully alive."  If that is true I have lived in God's glory for the 11 days I spent in Ireland.  I wish I had words to express what I have learned and experienced.  A couple of firsts-
          - Wellies (Wellington Boots)  Hey I watch Masterpiece Theater.  I've seen the Basil Rathbone movies portraying Sherlock Holmes.  They always walk around with their Wellies.  So for a full week I envisioned myself with Basil Rathbone walking the moors.  In all honesty my Wellies came from WalMart and I did not wear my tweed jacket and cap.
          - Bangers and Champ-  Ok, it's just sausages and mashed potatoes, but doesn't it sound better saying "bangers and champ."
          - Magners-  Guinness, be gone!  Magners is apple cider with the mildest of kicks.  I downed my first within 5 minutes and learned to slow down after that.  Let us say it is too good.
          - Irish whiskey-  I'm not much of a drinker, but I had about 3 hours to wait at Duty Free.  They had samples of several types of whiskey.  So what do you do when you have time to waste.  Keep walking the circle of samples until someone notices it is your 5th visit.
         
And the experiences?  Well I have a new appreciation for the work an archaeologist does.  Folks keep asking if I'm over my jet lag.  Jet lag was not the problem.  The problem was fatigue.  Digging, scraping, shoveling, spading, hauling, kneeling and scraping, kneeling and digging, then holding onto the shovel to stand upright because my back gave out and knees refused to work.  I begged Stuart to just leave me in the hole and cover me with dirt, but he said that would compromise the site. 

For two years I've complained that I can't get a straight answer out of Colm or Ronan.  As the week progressed I found myself saying, "This is perhaps, maybe, sorta, could be....... ."  They have brainwashed me.

So again folks keep asking what was the best part of the trip?  With my whole heart I can say the folks I worked with.  To be given this opportunity by the University, to be in the presence of professionals who love their work and wish to share it with you, and most of all to be with a team of individuals with their likes and differences and to be part of the community.  That's what was formed- a community, a family of sorts.  There were times of sharing, teaching, supporting, and bonding.  That to me was what I will take away the most.  I miss them all already.


Now you may think this is the end of The Big Dig 2011.  No way!  Since our return Colm has had us investigating new leads.  How about a second Hugh Cummiskey!!!!  Say what?  Yup.  The Cummiskey clan was a lot larger than we thought.  Putting the pieces together may lead to new revelations to our Hugh.  On top someone who saw the BBC piece in N. Ireland has sent Colm a new lead on that side of the Atlantic.  I have decided to seek a sabbatical and become a full time Cummiskey investigator.  (Hey, I never thought I'd be at Crossan, so a paid sabbatical is not that far fetched.)

Lastly, don't forget the St Pat's Cemetery tour on Saturday, September 24th.  We've gone some new stories to share with you and we'll be placing a piece of Hugh's homestead into his grave.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    What time does the the St. Pat's tour begin?

    Thanks,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete