The Cemetery is located in the densely populated section of Boston, known locally as Southie. The tenements and houses are tight packed. The tricolor is flown from several porch railings. Store signs, pubs, and restaurants carry on the Celtic theme. Much has been written about Southie, good and not so good, but you have to admire the tenacity of the people who have kept the chapel open with a full calendar of weddings, funerals, and weekly masses.
The chapel at St Augustine’s is the oldest Catholic structure in the Archdiocese and probably far beyond. The burial ground was begun in 1818. Boston’s City Fathers had finally given permission for the French and Irish Catholics who had immigrated to the city to finally have a burial ground of their own. Anti-Catholic sentiment was running high and this meant that Catholics had made a permanent mark on the city landscape. Father Francis Matignon, an immigrant from a rather wealthy family in Paris, was for a time Boston’s only priest and much beloved by the Catholic population. His dear friend Bishop Cheverus had the chapel constructed in memory of him.
|Fr. Mahony's Memorial|
|Lowell Burial, O'Neil Family|
|Walter w/ McDermott Stone|